Natural rock slate is natural stone that is split into thin slates of uniform thickness. For over 1,000 years, rock slate has been used for roofing materials and generally more durable than any other clay or concrete roofing product. Natural rocks slate are available in several colors including shades of green, gray, purple, black and red and can be produced in nearly any thickness and size.
Virginia, Canada and Spain
Natural rock slate offered from the quarries in Virginia, Canada and Spain is a vastly superior and durable roofing product with life expectancies exceeding 100 years and beyond.
With our commitment to offering nothing but the finest quality of roofing products in the United States, all slate offered is of S-1 quality (meaning 100 year lifespan or greater). The benefits of a natural rock slate roofing system from Virginia, Canada and Spain assures any new or existing roofing system a firm guarantee of a fire proof and water resistant product that is permanent, resistant to climate change, and virtually impervious to fungi and mold. New slate provided by the quarries in Virginia, Canada and Spain are a superior natural roofing product in which the Green Construction industry strives to achieve.
Natural rock slates are suitable for any climate within the United States, Canada, Europe, and beyond. The use of natural rock slate roofing systems includes but not limited to residences, schools and universities, commercial and government facilities.
Our unfading black slates quarried in Virginia, Canada and Spain are true non-fading meaning they will retain their original color throughout it's lifespan.
The grades of slate, meaning the uniformity in thickness and texture that each slate exhibits includes a select standard grade, rough texture standard grade, architectural grade, heavy grade, and estate grade. These grades are defined as follows:
- Select Standard Grade
- This is a very uniform thickness of 1/4” and has little texture. These slates weigh on average 680 to 780 lbs per square.
- Rough Texture Standard Grade
- A rough textured which exhibits a more enhanced grain in the surface in which the thicknesses will vary between 1/4” to 3/8”. Rough textured standard grade slates weigh between 800 to 1,000 lbs per square.
- Architectural Grade
- Similar to the texture as the rough textured standard grade slate, these slates are thicker, ranging from 3/8” and 1/2" and weigh between 1,200 and 1,500 lbs per square.
- Heavy Grade
- As with the rough textured slates previous detailed, the Heavy Grades slates exhibit a rough texture and thicknesses of 1/2" to 3/4" and will weigh between 1,800 and 2,200 lbs per square.
- Estate Grade
- This rough textured slate measures at least 3/4" thick. These slates weigh 2,500 and 3,000 lbs per square.
We offer slates in sizes which include a uniform length and width, uniform length and random widths, and random lengths and random widths along with varying grades for each specific request.